One of the most famous church in the Philippines is Miag-ao church located in the town of Miag-ao, Iloilo. The church is an Augustinian built. It is built between 1787 and 1797, its fortress-like design had its dual purpose as a place of worship and as a fort used in defending the town against moro raiders.
The church exhibits various architectural design with the local artistic elements. The side of the church walls are typical of the "earthquake baroque" design reminiscent of churches in Ilocos. It’s simple interior is highlighted by a striking gold-plated design. This church was declared as a National Landmark. In 1994 it was listed by the UNESCO as a World Cultural Heritage.